Bitcoin has a higher market cap than IBM, which may surprise many, but as the cryptocurrency has experienced ups and downs, its finally on the rise again, being valued at nearly $12k, the highest value ever granted.
Here’s what you need to know about Bitcoin’s current market value:
- The cryptocurrency has hit the $10,000 mark for the first time ever,
- At its current price, bitcoin now has a market cap of $160 million higher than Disney, GE, IBM, and McDonald’s.
- It’s also worth seven times more than gold.
- The milestone is all the more astounding considering one bitcoin was worth “only” $1,000 at the beginning of this year.
- Now that bitcoin has topped $11,000, NASDAQ is reportedly getting in on the action.
- The exchange is not going to start mining the cryptocurrency from Tesla charging stations, but instead will launch a futures contract based on bitcoin in 2018, according to a source cited by Reuters. NASDAQ will be the third U.S.-based exchange to plan derivatives contracts off of bitcoin
- passed the $10,000 mark for the first time yesterday, a tenfold increase over where it was at the beginning of the year